Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reading Lists

The vast collection of Human Knowledge can be found in books. And sometimes, it feels like I have a large percentage of that knowledge in my book cases at home. Through Borders, eBay, Amazon, and Bookmooch.com, I have many places to get new books to add to my collection of Knowledge.

Yet this Knowledge goes to waste unless the volumes get to tell their story. That is why I have set up numerous reading lists for myself,  and following my policy of making goals public, I have placed the current book from each list in a sidebar with a link to this page and I will keep this list updated.

As you can see on the sidebar, I currently have four reading lists: Certification, Software Development, Classical Education, and Miscellaneous.

The Certification list contains the textbook necessary for the Certification I am currently working on. Right now, I am pursuing either the MCTS Asp.Net 3.5 or 2.0 certification. The 3.5 Certification is more current, but the books for the 2.0 are a lot cheaper on Amazon. Either Certification requires 70-536, which  is the test I am currently preparing for.

My Software Development reading list contains books on Software Development but aren't directly related to my Certification training. For this list, I am currently reading Mythical Man Month.

The Classical Education list contains books recommended by the book The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had. I came across this book a couple years ago thanks to the Book Lover's Page-a-Day Calendar. This Book describes the classical method of education and how to apply it to fiction novels, histories, autobiographies, plays, and poems. For each genre, it provides a reading list. Sadly, even though I've attempted 3 times to start this list, I've only completed abort half of the first book on the list, Don Quixote.

My Miscellaneous reading list includes any other book not on the other lists. Currently, I am reading Getting Results the Agile Way. Scott Hanselman tweeted about the book and I decided to look into it. The book describes itself as a system for managing outcomes that is easily incorporated into an existing System. Since starting this book, I have certainly found this to be the case. If you are like most people and need to get more at of your day, then you need to check out this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment