Thursday, March 4, 2010

Build failed on an ILog Project without an error

I was recently working on an ILog project. ILog is one of many Business Rule Engines out there. Business Rule Engines are becoming more popular. How do I know? Because one Developer wrote Space Invaders  using a Business Rule Engine and Business Rules.

(As an aside, I'm not a big fan of Business Rule Engines because one of their touted benefits is that if will free Developer's time for other things. I have yet to see this benefit materialize on our project. However, they do have many other benefits, but that is another post for another time.)

While taking over the responsibility to maintain the business rules from another developer, I tried to build our rules project. Unfortunately the build failed without a message explaining why.

I exited the solution and reloaded. The reason for the build failure was displayed in the error list this time. In my case, the Model needed to be rebuilt. So I switched to the Business Object Model view and selected  Refresh. When I went to Build  the Solution, this time it succeed.

Each tool has its own quirks, and ILog is certainly no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment