Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Challenges

Challenges

I had to do something the other day that I've never had to do. I turned down a job offer. Some background infomration might be necessary first to fully understand.

Last fall, I was informed that I would be moving from the domestic development group to the internation development group in late Winter. In the beginning of winter, I was given an assignment from our Implementation group to help them with their backlog. They were impressed with my work and offered me a temporary position with their group to help them decrease their backlog even further.

For the last two and a half months then, I've been augmenting our implementation staff with some of the work they have. Early on, I knew the work would lead to a job offer. In the end, there wasn't really a choice.

A lot of the work is technical in nature, but not very difficult. Most of the challenges that I was faced with in this posistion were not technical challenges, but social challenges.

Technical challenges are the challenges that occur in trying to get the technology to do what is necessary to complete the job at hand. This could as simple as knowing how to operate a lawn mower for a lawn care service, to using Outlook, Office, and other computer applications, all the way up to actually designing the software that others use.

Social challenges are the challenges that occur in working with others. Examples include trying to figure out what a person has asked of you, what it is that they really want accomplished, or how to pursuade them to do what you thing is best.

Each job presents Technical and Social challenges, but I am a person who thrives on the Technical challenges. In this, I had my answer. To be satisfied with my job, I need to have a job that presents me with Technical challenges that push my skills, and not just a job which utilizes my skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment